So what and how did you name your dog? Holly Jolly and I would love to hear your responses and your stories. Please share them in the comments section by clicking on "Add Comment" below this blog post!
THE CONTEST: Whoever comes up with the coolest name that I like the most will not only win a FREE signed 6X9 paperback copy of my paranormal fantasy novel SOULSNATCHER, but I will also use your dog’s name in my next novel for my fictional canine hero (or heroine), and mention your name in my next novel's Acknowledgments page.
In my lifetime, my real dogs have been named RUSTY (a Labrador/ Irish Setter mix with a rust-colored coat), DUCHESS (a female black Labrador Retriever), SADIE MILADY (an American Eskimo, aka Spitz), and now HOLLY JOLLY.
In my fiction, I always write about dogs as main or subsidiary characters, and have always had a great time naming them. In no particular order, they are:
- DANTE, a male German Shepherd (from my novel SOULSNATCHER, published April 2014 by Lazy Day Publishing)
- CHIEF, a male German Shepherd (from my novel FREQUENCIES)
- THE MIGHTY QUINN and CHAMP, two male Golden Retrievers (from my novel MARIONETTES)
- SARGE, a male German Shepherd mix (from my short story IN THE NIGHT SHE COMES, First Place Winner of the Atlanta Writers Club Fall 2013 short story contest)
- DOC, a male yellow Labrador Retriever, and KADIE, a female Golden Retriever (from my novel DREAMWEAVERS)
- DARBY, a male Golden Retriever (from my short story MESSIAH IN A FUR COAT)
- KADIE (yes, another Kadie), a female Golden Retriever; DUKE, a yellow Labrador Retriever; and COOTER, a mutt (from my short story OLD COOT, published to critical acclaim November 2013 online at Page & Spine)
- SPOOK, a black Labrador Retriever, and KERCHAK and KALA, two German Shepherd littermates (from my post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel JAGANNATH, coming February 2015 from Permuted Press)
- T-REX, a male German Shepherd; BEAUTY, a female Golden Retriever; and CISCO and PANCHO, male yellow Labrador Retrievers and littermates (from my novel A MIGHTY ROLLING THUNDER)
- RINGO, a black “afterlife” Labrador Retriever, and YOGI and BOO-BOO, an Irish Setter and a yellow Labrador Retriever (from my novel BEYOND THE VALE)
So how did YOU name YOUR dog? Post your story in the “comments” section below, and share your fun tales about our furry friends with wagging tails with everyone who visits and reads this blog. Your dog’s name and story could become famous and spread all over the world, and one lucky winner will have their dog’s name included in my next novel!
I'm excited about hearing you share your stories, so don't be shy! You know your dog wouldn't be, right? :)
May you and all your special furry friends live your lives with tails wagging and wind-in-fur.
Holly Jolly sez “Woof!”
Kerry Alan Denney, multiple award-winning author of SOULSNATCHER (Lazy Day Publishing, April 2014) and JAGANNATH, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller coming from Permuted Press February 2015